Vegetable Fried RiceReport Violation
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 ounces asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1/2 bunch)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Hot red pepper sauce, to taste
1. Combine rice and broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes. Spread the rice out on a large plate and let stand for 5 minutes.
2. While the rice is cooling, coat a large nonstick wok or skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Pour in eggs and cook, stirring gently, until just set, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl.
3. Heat canola oil in the pan over medium-high; add asparagus and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, scallions, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just tender, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked rice, soy sauce and vinegar to the pan; cook until the liquid is absorbed, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Fold in the cooked eggs. Remove from the heat; stir in sesame oil and hot sauce.
Per serving: 364 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 675 mg sodium; 444 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (200% daily value), Vitamin A (70% dv), Iron (20% dv), Folate (19% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat